Friday, June 15, 2007

Simple Question #007a: Should Drugs Be Legalized?

Who needs coffee? I do, for one. Is that an addiction? Maybe, but since I have a steady supply, it's cheap and legal, and I'm not hurting anyone when I "get high" I think I'll stick with it at least for now. There is one kind of coffee I would probably never try and I'm sure it's possible to overdose, but I don't abuse it that badly.

Some drugs are seriously problematic. Getting addicted is easy. Staying high becomes more important to the user than anything else. Using can destroy your life. Cessation can kill you (or make you wish you were dead). But not all illegal drugs are like this. Maybe there's room for legalization of at least some? Some would argue that marijuana is safer than alcohol. Is a drug okay just because it's legal? Jesus turned water into wine, so it can't be all bad.

Maybe the bigger issue is over whether the legal definitions of drug use are the same as the moral parameters. What do you think?

No comments: