Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Should Churches Be Taxed?

I haven't really dug into this, and I probably should before opening my big virtual mouth, but I think it's high time churches and other similar religious institutions were taxed. Why aren't they to begin with? Is it because they do so much good for the community? Well, I can think of a few instances where not only have some churches harmed the common good, but also have unabashedly raked in enough cash to make Solomon blush. There are also plenty of non-faith-based organizations that perform excellent community services. I think it's time to rethink this special loophole for churches.

It seems to me that we should instead be giving modest tax breaks to people who work for and people who provide direct services for any organization that brings help to those in need. If those people then want to contribute to the well-being a religious entity of their preference, then such a tax break would make it possible.

I know I'm not really ed-u-ma-cated on this subject, so help me learn! What do you think?

1 comment:

Steve B said...

I agree, and never understood the exemption. When you say "churches" should be taxes, I'm assuming you mean should pay property tax like everyone else, and if they have salaried employess, that they take the same withholding as everybody else.

I worked for a non-profit Christian ministy for two years. When I was laid off, I found out the hard way that since they were 501C-3, they didn't pay into the unemployment fund. Yeah, I was left high and dry, baby.